Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fuzzy, Cute and Carnivorous




I know what you are thinking..."Another Dick Cheney post Vincent? Christ."

Oh if wishing would make it so.
No this is about an actual fuzzy and cute animal story. A dialogue with nature if you will. A story of bears and monkeys doing...well...doing what bears and monkeys do. Click here, animal lover.


You know this reminds me of a story that happened to me. I was at the zoo in Tucson, being a warm summer day the zoo was pretty empty except for the several busloads of summer camp kids that were wandering around bothering docents and wasting oxygen.

A few of them were sharing a rail with me, leaning over the otter enclosure, watchng the two otters frolicking and playing with a bird...some manner of water foul, if memory serves. Or at least we thought they were playing.

As one of the otters got in front of the bird and started playing a happy game of "Hey look at me, i am a cute otter" with it, the other otter skulked away, went into the water, and swam around behind the clueless bird. What happened next was quite possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen at the zoo. Otter #2 slowly rose out of the water like the face-painted Martin Sheen in Apocolypse Now, came up behind the large bird while his buddy distracted it, grabbed the bird by the neck and dragged it underwater. Now the kids thought the whole thing was still playful right up until the other otter took to the water let his buddy come up for air, and took over drowning the bird, which was promptly tore to ribbons by the two otter hit-squad. I swear the whole thing looked like a mob hit.

Reid Park Zoo....good times my man...good times.

v.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you know what they say, "You can take the animal out of the wild, but you can't take the wild out of the animal." I know I learned an important lesson after reading this blog today; otters are carnivores?

-Tracy

Anonymous said...

I once saw a meat eating beaver too...

The Arch-Groovus said...

Carnivorous? Tracy, I have never seen an evil so singularly personified as in the facees of the otters that killed that bird.